Luxembourg, February, 16 2017: At the end of December 2016, UPC DTH, the leading provider of satellite television, broadband internet and telephony services known as UPC Direct in Hungary, freeSAT in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and Focus Sat in Romania, had a total of 840,000 customers using 854,000 RGUs*.
Highlights of 2016:
- 854,000 RGUs at UPC DTH on 31 December 2016, representing growth of 3% year-on-year. This includes more than 24,000 net adds, across its television, internet and telephony products
- 7% growth in revenue year-on-year
- New headend built in Poland with latest technology to deliver even better image quality across all markets
- Switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 in the Czech Republic and Slovakian markets bringing higher quality video to customers
- More TV and music available everywhere and at any time through non-linear products such as Stingray App and FilmBox Live
- 50 new channel launches, including 15 in high-definition (HD)
Michael Lee, Managing Director UPC DTH Luxembourg
„In 2016 we continued to show our committment to new technologies and to switch to a more mordern format. We offered more HD content to our customers, developed our non-linear product and improved our technological platform. I am very proud of our results and of the work we are doing. In 2017 we will keep on delivering the best quality to customers, offering them the best of new content and new ways to enjoy our services.’’
New headend built in Poland
One of 2016’s key strategic projects was the construction of a brand new headend facility in Poland. To help meet the demands of an increasingly digitalized society, UPC DTH sought to bring its technologies to the next level by upgrading and redesigning its systems to offer better picture quality to customers and increase efficiency in its use of satellite capacity. This new headend facility was delivered ahead of schedule and with no impact on customers.
Switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG 4 to provide more HD quality services
In continuation of UPC DTH’s digital development, freeSAT customers have been invited to change their devices from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, enabling UPC DTH to offer more HD content on the existing platform.
More digital experience: anywhere and at anytime
UPC DTH has continued to develop its new generation of services that provide customers the freedom to enjoy their music and/or movies anywhere and at any time with the launch of new applications in collaboration with Stingray Music channel and Filmbox Live, allowing customers to enjoy high quality content from live streaming channels on their mobiles or tablets.
* RGU – Revenue Generating Unit, i.e. the number of services sold